Natural Remedies – lavender essential oil


Lavender essential oil has got to be my absolute favourite natural remedies and I make sure I always have some both at home and in my handbag.  Here are some of the ways in which I have used it:-

To give me instant stress relief.  When I am feeling stressed I usually rub a few drops of lavender between my hands and cupping my hands over my nose inhale the vapour.  Alternatively you can sprinkle a few drops on a tissue and inhale. Instant calm!

To soothe me to sleep.  A few drops on my pillow is usually enough to lull me into a deep sleep. 


To help heal minor burns (note this is not for severe burns which need medical attention).  Run cold water over the burn for 10 minutes then apply a few drops of lavender. Lavender is the only essential oil that you can use neat.

If I ever have a chesty cold, I rub a few drops of lavender essential oil on my chest.  I then breathe in the vapour which seems to soothe any inflamed airways and clear my nose.  The remedy will also help you sleep if your cold is making sleep difficult.  (If you do have a chesty cold, make sure you get it checked out by a doctor- you may need a short course of antibiotics.)

Muscle aches? Lavender essential oil makes a great muscle rub.  It is also good for sprains. 

Lavender really is a wonder oil and has so many uses- give it a try! 

PLEASE NOTE: Lavender is not for you if you are pregnant, and you may want to avoid using it on young children (especially boys). 

Article Copyright © 2014 40plusandalliswell

No comments:

Post a Comment