Natural winter remedies



A word of caution- even though these are natural remedies, some people may have allergies to them and if you are on any medication there may be interactions so ALWAYS CHECK WITH A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER.
Here are my favourite winter remedies:-

  • Echinecea - available as tablets, capsules or infusion.  It is not advisable to give this remedy to children under 12 due to risk of allergy.  I take it at the first sign of a cold. It is important for me to avoid infections because of lung damage.  Before I had my immune boosting 'armory' I had several bouts of pneumonia.  Nowadays a cold is no more than an inconvenience.  How does echinecea work? Echinecea stimulates your immune system to help fight the virus reducing the severity of the cold and duration.
  • Elderberry- great for flu.  Elderberry can help you recover from flu quickly by stimulating your immune system and reducing inflammation. DO NOT eat the raw berries.  I would recommend liquid or organic capsules.  I use it as a natural 'antibiotic' taking a 5, 7, 10 or 14 day course depending on the severity of my symptoms.
  • Ginger - great for bronchitis and coughs. It is best taken as a ginger tea.  Slice a few pieces of ginger root into a saucepan, and cover with a mug of water.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Pour into a mug, stir in a teaspoonful of honey, and a teaspoonful of lemon. Allow to cool slightly and sip.  
  • Lavender - a few drops on your pillow will help you sleep when you are 'bunged up' and reduce inflammation in your upper respiratory passages.
  • My 'antibiotic' mushroom soup (see below)


My 'antibiotic' mushroom soup

Serves 2
200g chestnut mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 tbsp organic reduced salt boullion in 500ml hot water
1/2 can coconut milk
Mushroom and coconut slices to decorate
Chestnut mushrooms are anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal and antibiotic as well as being packed with phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B5 and selenium, both of which are essential for immune function. Another of my favourite mushrooms is shitake.  All this and low calorie too.
Enjoy and stay well this winter.
Janet x


Article Copyright © 2014 40plusandalliswell

3 comments:

  1. I'm off shopping tomorrow for the ingrediants for this soup. I've been fighting a virus for 8 weeks and I've never had such low immunity. The doctor prescribed Antibollocks which I took, but the runny nose and congestion have returned. I've already made the ginger tea. Your blog is such a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear you have been ill so long. I would also recommend that you eat plenty of foods which are a source of vitamin C such as oranges, kiwi, peppers, etc. Onions and garlic are a source of quercetin which is a natural antihistamine if the problem is partly due to seasonal allergies. Seasonal allergies ('autumn hayfever' caused by spores) can cause runny nose and congestion..
      Hope you are feeling much better soon
      Love Janet x

      Delete
  2. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete