Vintage Natural Beauty- Skincare Review



In an article last week we went back in time to pick up some natural beauty hints from history, "Vintage Natural Beauty- Skincare": 
http://40plusandalliswell.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/vintage-natural-beauty-skincare.html

One of these was the use of benzoin oil as an astringent.  Victorian dancer Lola Montez called it “the most remarkable wash for the face which I have ever known”- well, I just had to give it a go! Taking my own advice in the article, I bought a good quality, responsibly sourced oil. Unscrewing the cap of the bottle, the first thing I noticed was the wonderful scent of the oil. Being sourced from the gum of a tree, I was expecting it to have a woody odour- perhaps similar to sandalwood. I was surprised, however, to find that it had a rich vanilla scent. I diluted the oil in filtered water because I wanted to splash it on my face after cleansing as an astringent, but you might also want to dilute it your favourite carrier oil such as almond or grapeseed- it’s important that you use benzoin oil in very low dilutions (2%). I found that at this dilution it was gentle enough for my sensitive skin, and the beautiful scent could definitely give my beloved rose water a run for its money. Benzoin is a very relaxing oil, so it is particularly lovely to use after cleansing in the evening. A splash of benzoin, your favourite record on the gramophone, and chill… :)

This is a tip from history that would seem to be at home in a modern beauty routine. Just a little caution- as with any essential oil, I’d strongly advise doing a patch test before using, and discontinue use if any irritation occurs.

Love,

Becky x

No comments:

Post a Comment